Friday, April 19, 2024

Are sprouted potatoes safe to eat ??

 Yesterday I saw my mother taking out potatoes from the basket.


I observed that some of them were sprouted !!!


I asked my mother Have they got spoiled ??


My mother said No....


She carefully removed all the sprouts from the potatoes. 


Now the potatoes look normal  and my mother used them for cooking. 


Potatoes are the natural source of glycoalcoloid compounds. When consumed in small quantities, they offer health benefits.


But as they sprout, these compounds ' content begin to rise. When consumed in large quantities, they turn toxic.


It may result in low blood pressure, headache and fever.


Though people remove the sprouts and then use the potatoes,  it is advisable to reduce sprouting. 


We must avoid stockpiling potatoes. Buy potatoes as per requirement. The potatoes must not be stored with onions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment