Saturday, October 14, 2017

Why do cut apples turn brown ?

Today morning , my father gave me cut apple pieces to eat. As I was busy watching tv , I had them after few minutes. They had turned brown. I hesitated to have , but father assured me that taste will remain same even though colour is changed.

But why cut apple turn brown? Why not some other colour ?


Apples contain an enzyme called polyphenol oxidase . This reacts with the oxygen in air . The oxidation reaction takes place and forms a sort of rust on the surface of the fruit.


This reaction can be slowed or prevented by inactivating the enzyme. We can add lemon juice or any other acid on the surface of the fruit. Or we can reduce the available amount of oxygen by putting the cut fruit under water.


My suggestion --- --

It is better to eat the apple quickly as soon as it is cut .

No comments:

Post a Comment