Monday, September 17, 2018

I am confused , what is the correct answer?

I have got the answer to my confusion . When parenthesis are there , multiplication sign is invisible . But is implied that we must take into consideration . So , the 2nd method is correct .



Just now I came across a math problem . Looks simple.  After learning from mistake of previous problem , I applied BODMAS rule to solve the problem .


Problem


6 ÷ 2 ( 1 + 2 ) = ? 



I solved like this :

First , sum inside the bracket.


( 1 + 2 ) = 3



Now , 2 ( 3 )  is 2 × 3 = 6


Now , 6 ÷ 6


Answer is   1 .


This is what I learned in school . But there is a new approach to solve this problem . Answer is different .



Now I said parentheses means multiplication . So our new form of problem is like this ,


6 ÷ 2 × 3 = ?

Applying BODMAS ,

Division comes first . Then multiplication

So ,


6 ÷ 2 = 3

Now , problem is reduced to ,


3 × 3 = 9 


Final answer : 9 .

 The method I used is a common practice method . The next method is what people use nowadays . But interpretation of problem is different . I guess the 2nd interpretation is correct . But I am  confused totally .


No comments:

Post a Comment