Saturday, September 1, 2018

Tricky question . How I failed to solve it

This question I saw it on a quiz show that aired last week . It sounds simple . But actually it's not .

Question



If 3 cats kill 3 rats in 3 days , how many days it takes  for 100 cats to kill 100 rats ?


Answer


I thought it is very simple.

3 cats          3 rats         3 days
100 cats     100 rats        ?


I pictured the above equation in my mind . Answer is quite obvious from the above equation .

100 days !!!!



 Is that really that simple ???


No. ... .....


We have to tackle this with cool mind .


3 cats take 3 days to kill 3 rats . Think differently . Cats will not hunt in a calculated manner . This question won't sound right if 3 different cats kill 3 different rats in 3 different days.


This has to be a single cat taking 3 days to kill a rat .


So , equation is

 1 cat                   1 rat                 3 days
100 cats               100 rats          3 days



Whether it is 10 cats or 100 cats , they take just 3 days to kill rats . Not 100 days as I imagined .


No comments:

Post a Comment