Saturday, February 1, 2020

Sublimation

I have witnessed the phenomenon of sublimation . Most of us have too . But I was not knowing that it is called sublimation .

What is sublimation ?

Sublimation is a process in which a solid directly gets converted into vapour . Meaning conversation from solid state to vapour state .

There are 3 types of objects . They can be in solid state like ice . They can be in liquid state like water . They can be in gaseous state like steam .


The examples given above are the 3 stages wherein the water gets converted from solid state to gaseous state . Getting converted from liquid to gaseous state is called vaporization . Whereas getting converted from solid state to gaseous state is sublimation . 


Day to day life examples 


I can think of two examples of sublimation in our daily life .

Camphor and naphthalene balls

I have seen the camphor used in daily pooja by my father . One thing I have to clarify . Sublimation is not a instantaneous process . A solid won't get converted into vapour form suddenly.  It slowly gets shrinked or becomes smaller . Then finally gone .


Same thing applies to naphthalene balls too . My mother keeps these balls under and in between her sarees . They gets sublimated slowly . Finally they are gone .

No comments:

Post a Comment