Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Question on astronomy

 Children's special week episodes of Koun Banega Karodpati were telecasting on television.



There was a question on astronomy. I thought it as very simple. But actually it's not. Here's the question



In our solar system, which of these celestial objects are least in number?

1. Number of planets

2. Number of natural satellites

3. Number of stars

4. Number of planets with rings



I thought it as a simple question. 

I started calculating in my mind. 

Number of planets =  8

Number of natural satellites = 171

Number of stars = uncountable as it can be seen in the sky at night 

Number of planets with rings = 4



According to my chart which is shown above, the least number of celestial bodies is option 4 which is the number of planets with rings. In our solar system,  there are 4 planets with rings. 


Most of us think like this. 





But answer is number of stars which is 1.




Let me explain. 




It is said in our SOLAR System. 




In our solar system,  Sun is the only one star. There are no other stars in solar system except Sun.




But we do see lots of stars in the sky at night.  What about them? 




These stars are in our galaxy, not in our solar system. 




Solar system comprises of one star that is Sun. 



Hence correct answer is number of stars. 


When I was explained like this, I understood. 


Moral of the story :  First read the question carefully before attempting. 


No comments:

Post a Comment