Friday, November 21, 2014

How do painkillers work ?

I have got a joint break in my foot . Because of this , it is very painful to take steps . Doctor prescribed paracetamol type painkiller . Just in half an hour , I could take steps without pain .

But doctor had advised me to take complete rest as only the sensation of pain got subsided , not the pain itself . I was curious to know the working of it .

How did painkiller come to know , I am having pain in my foot ? I didn't tell !






Narcotics are also used to treat severe pain . But paracetamol type painkillers actually go to the source of pain and stop it .


HOW ?????????

When cells are damaged , they produce large quantities of an enzyme called " cyclooxygenase - 2 " . This enzyme in turn produces chemicals called " prostaglandins " . These chemicals send pain signals to brain and also responsible for swelling in that area .


Now , let's see what happens when we take painkillers orally or through an injection . Painkiller travels throughout body along with blood .

They target that area where the enzyme is produced and binds with them . Painkillers inhibit the enzymes from producing pain causing chemicals .

No pain causing chemicals means " no pain signal " !



But remember , the cells in damaged site are still damaged . Medications are required for healing the damage .