Friday, November 28, 2014

Why do house flies rub their legs always ?

This is the latest thing I observed . As I always sit on chair and stare at opposite wall and table ( according to mother , I am killing time ! ) , I observed that the house fly which was sitting on table was rubbing its forelegs continuosly . I wondered why ?

Flies rely on their compound eyes and antennae and hairs over them to sense the world around them .


They have to keep these sense organs clean so that they can fly with precision to find food and also to escape from its enemies.

Flies spend most of the time in cleaning their body . They not only clean their legs but they run their legs over the whole body , head and wings too .


Particles of dirt from body are picked up by its legs as it cleans and then the dirt is rubbed down the legs and thrown away .