Sunday, March 4, 2018

How did I solved the problem in a stupid way

I had come across this math problem ( shown below ) .

Now I illustrate how stupidly I solved the problem and then corrected myself .


Problem  :




100   -    100      *        0        +       1      =    ?



At the first glance itself , I thought it is a very simple and easy problem to solve . I started from the left hand side .



100 - 100 = 0 .

0  *  0  =   0.

0  +  1  =  1


I patted my back as I had solved the problem in less than 2 seconds !


Then I compared my answer with the actual answer . My head got reeled ,  correct answer is 101 !


I again stared at the problem . I realized that the method I followed is wrong . I started to think .....



.....


.....



.....


Now I remembered I am an engineer and I must apply BODMAS logic to solve this type of problem .


BODMAS = Bracket
                      Order
                      Division
                      Multiplication
                      Addition
                      Subtraction


It has to be solved in this way . Now in the given problem , there is no bracket .

We will come to next step , order .

It is division , multiplication , addition and subtraction .


So here we go ...


There is no division sign.

Next step , multiplication


100  * 0  = 0

Now the reduced equation is  100 - 0 + 1


Again next step   , addition

100 +  1 = 101

Finally , its subtraction

101  -  0  =  101

This is how these type of problems should be solved .






No claps please !!!



No comments:

Post a Comment