Monday, May 7, 2018

What is a thunder ?

This is the question asked by my nephew ( brother's son ) . I felt ashamed as I didn't know the answer ! I know how lightning strikes . But I didn't know why we hear the sound , after sometime  , the lightning strikes .

The lightning strikes as the result of flow of charged air particles . The dark clouds are having positive and negative charged particles . When the clouds collide with each other , these particles attract to differently charged ions and there will be a huge discharge of electricity and this is called lightning .

Sound is made up of vibrations . As I said , lightning is the huge discharge of electricity . This electricity passes through air and causes the air particles to vibrate . Lightning is very hot and it heats up the air around it . This hot air expands very quickly thus resulting in more vibrations .

Vibrations means sound . Thus we hear loud and long rumble . We always hear a thunder after lightning . Light always travel faster than sound in air .

No comments:

Post a Comment