Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Why we must not store onions and potatoes together ?

Yesterday my father has been to market and brought onions and potatoes . When storing those , mother separated them from each other and kept them separately in a vented place .


She has not kept them in fridge also like other vegetables  . I was surprised . I could not tolerate the injustice being done to potatoes and onions !!


I asked for the reason . My mother said if onions and potatoes kept together , potatoes will get spoilt fast .


I looked at onions . What is there in it which is responsible for this isolation ?


The reason for the isolation is moisture . Both of them emits moisture along with gases such as ethylene .


Ethylene makes them to ripe faster and moisture spoils them from inside . That's why they are always kept in fully vented place separately .




No comments:

Post a Comment