Friday, November 8, 2013

Mangalore tulu Vs Udupi tulu

                                 Mangalore tulu Vs Udupi tulu

The difference I observed between the tulu spoken by people of two place.
Here, in newspaper too, tulu columns will be there.
When I was reading newspaper, I had come across the tulu word "tage tangadi ( ತಗೆ ತಂಗಡಿ ).
I know tangadi means younger sister ( ತಂಗಿ ). But what is tage?
I asked with my father too, about the word. He had no idea.
The word started troubling my mind. I was asking with everyone, the meaning of the word. I stay in Udupi. No one knew the meaning.
One day, a known person to our family had visited our house. As usual, I had put the question to him. He originally hails from Mangalore.
Soon , he said " tage" means elder brother ( ಅಣ್ಣ )
So tage tangadi = brother and sister  ( ಅಣ್ಣ- ತಂಗಿ ).
In Udupi, we dont use that word for elder brother. We say " palaye " ( ಪಲಯೆ ).
So, in our tulu it is palaye - megdi ( ಪಲಯೆ - ಮೆಗ್ದಿ  or ಪಲಯೆ - ತಂಗಡಿ ).
Eventhough , language is same ; there are slight variations in the words we use.