Saturday, July 5, 2014

Why do we get goose bumps when it is cold ?

Yesterday whole night it had rained in our area . Hence , whole surrounding is cool and chill .
Morning I got up and went to bathroom . I splashed water .





No .... No.....



Not on others !






On me . Because I went to bathroom .


As water drops fell on my legs , I shivered . I didnt know water has become cooler . Usually it wont since it is hot throughout day .

Suddenly , I noticed the hairs on my leg are standing erect and the area below them is swollen a little . I know all of us have observed it . But mine is special as I am writing this blog article !

Now I started wondering about this . Soon my skin regained its previous shape . This perticular phenomena is called goose bumps .

I had seen Gunda , neighbour's tomcat . When he was fighting with other cats , even his body hairs were standing erect like a straight pin .

Now coming back to goose bumps in humans ,


When its hot we need to cool down . Little hairs and muscles at the base of each hair relax . Sweat glands pump out body heat as sweat .


But when it is cold , the muscles pull the hair up . Blood vessels also get small to save heat .

Hair standing up in our body , doesnt make good insulation against heat . Millions of years ago , we had lot of fur on our body . That time , working of these little muscles helped humans to feel warmer by goose bumps .

Now as humans evolved , those extra fur got vanished but those muscles didnt forget their work of goose bumps when it is cold .

Cold is not the only thing to cause goose bumps . Fear or anger causes the same as happened with Gunda .