Thursday, February 1, 2018

Is this word needed in news headlines ?

Last week , I was going through news headlines on internet . I found an article about a school boy who had shot his principal. The reason is boy was rusticated . Headlines ended there.


I didn't understand the news headlines . What was the reason that the boy has taken the extreme step ? I know what is rust. But what is rustication ?


I asked my father about the word. I consider my father as a scholar in English. But even he didn't heard of the word.

So I searched Google about the word. It said



Rusticated = suspended from a school as an act of
                       punishment.



Now I know the reason. It is very clear.

I wonder why do they use difficult words when synonym words are available , a layman also can understand. Are they testing our English language skill by using difficult words that too in news headlines??

No comments:

Post a Comment