Thursday, August 7, 2014

Why do mosquitoes always bite on our face ?

Yesterday night , I could not sleep properly . Mosquitoes were patrolling across the room . If one mosquito completes its mission of drinking MY blood , one more mosquito confirms its presence by singing a song in my ears.

I had switched ON the mosquito repellent . But as night advanced , the repellent liquid was empty. Mosquitoes were very happy.

They came near my ears , sing a song. Then they move towards my hand . Byte and drink blood. Though I am covering myself with blanket , mosquitoes are succeeding in entering inside the blanket somehow.

These mosquitoes always target my face and hands . They don't take trouble to come near my feet . I figured out may be I am always sleeping in the same fashion and they are used to the type . That's why I decided to change position.

I slept by keeping my head where my feet used to be , and feet in the place of head.

For nearly 10 minutes , there was no sound of mosquitoes . I chuckled to myself on foolishness of mosquitoes.

But I was wrong !

Soon they realised my changed position. They started their business as usual . I kept on wondering how did they come to know of my plan ?

Finally I got my answer.

Mosquitoes always come near the face to byte. It is not as a compliment for our beauty ! Till now I was thinking that they are sensing the smell of sweat.

But in our area , sweat comes from all part of body wherever skin is there ! Yet , they are targeting only the face and hands .

Mosquitoes are sensing our presence on the amount CO2 we exhale. We can't sleep without breathing. As we inhale oxygen ( O2 ) , we must exhale carbon di oxide ( CO2 ) .

Mosquitoes can sense this CO2 we exhale , and they always attack us on the source of gas i .e. our face and hands which is very near to face .