Saturday, December 21, 2013

Closed loop systems

                                   Closed loop systems

In our daily life, we come across many systems . Some are closed and some are open control systems. The closed control systems are the ones in which the part of the input is again fed back to output as feedback.  Open loop control systems , dont have the feedback hence are considered unstable whereas the closed loop control systems are considered stable.
I want to share my experience of this topic. I had attended HR interview of a company after finishing my engineering at Manipal Institute of Technology.
As it was my first interview, I was not at all having the idea of the questions they ask in the interview. It was in a room my interview was about to begin.
Interviewer was sitting on the chair. After greeting him, I was asked to sit down on a chair. ( Not on floor ! ) He showed the turning fan above him to me, and asked me whether is it a closed loop control system or open loop ?
I was remembering that closed loop systems are stable and open loop systems are unstable. ( Only that much , for my bad luck ! )
I looked at turning fan. The fan is turning. It has to be STABLE , otherwise it would have fallen on the head of interviewer !



No prize for guessing what was my answer !


Yes, I said it is a closed loop control system !

I could not clear the test. I asked with my friends about the question. I came to know turning fan is an open loop control system since it is not giving its output ( i e turning of fan ) to input ( i.e. switching on  ) . It was stable since it was fixed firmly to the ceiling with the help of nails !

After all these years, sitting in house, unable to walk independently , I remember all these incidents. I laugh at my foolishness , that time.

But it is all past.