Wednesday, March 26, 2014

If an ice cube melts in a glass of water , does the level of water in the glass increase , decrease or remains the same ?

I know people may think it as a silly question. Even I thought like that !
I sincerely agree that I thought water level would increase as ice is the solid  form of water and when it melts, it becomes water .



But is it that simple ?


????

????


Noooooo...........

Let me give the answer.

Water level would remain the same .


WHY?

The volume of water that the ice cube displaces is the same as the weight of the water in the ice cube ! 
Given that these two are equal, the level therefore remains the same.

When ice melts, the amount of water it gives on melting is the same as the amount of water it had displaced when it was put on water . So, the level of water remains same.

But it is applicable only for the ice which is above the water level.